FCC To Require 911 for VoIP

Chris Boyd cboyd at gizmopartners.com
Mon May 2 19:12:12 UTC 2005

On May 1, 2005, at 6:43 PM, Sean Donelan wrote:

> On Sun, 1 May 2005, Chris Boyd wrote:
>>> s/zipcode/unique geographic identifier on the rough order of a square
>>> mile/
>>
>> Or have the server return the SNMP location information.  The network
>> operator would then be able to configure locally meaningful
>> information.
>
> Why do you think the ISP knows anything more precise that the
> information
> they already give in the IN-ADDR.ARPA name?

Sorry--Made an ambigous "network operator" reference there.  I meant
the operator of the LAN, not the ISP.

This would be a similar responsibility to what PBX admins already have
to do, as others have pointed out.  Less clueful and/or home users
would need to have dire warnings printed in the doc and displayed on
screen about configuring the correct location information, but that can
easily be done in new equipment and updates to older software.

Adding the information as a DHCP option sounds interesting.  Maybe
bears further discussion....?

--Chris