SMTP AUTH

Steve Sobol sjsobol at JustThe.net
Mon May 2 18:58:34 UTC 2005

Will Yardley <nanog at veggiechinese.net> wrote:

> There are plenty of non-Windows mailers which support SMTP auth - the
> list below includes quite a few Mac OS, cross platform, and UNIX / Linux
> clients. Not only that, but on a *nix system, it's possible to configure
> the MTA as an authenticated SMTP client

(bah, I know I shouldn't reply, but)

'Nix only?

The product that includes one of the most popular Windows SMTP servers in the
universe can authenticate itself to other MTAs too.

That'd be Microsoft Exchange, and that functionality has existed since version
5.5... iow, for at least five or six years.

(there, I'm done, I'm not posting anything further in this thread)

Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol at JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"