FCC To Require 911 for VoIP

JP Velders jpv at veldersjes.net
Mon May 2 11:58:46 UTC 2005

> Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 01:46:50 +0200
> From: Niels Bakker <niels=nanog at bakker.net>
> To: nanog at merit.edu
> Subject: Re: FCC To Require 911 for VoIP

> * sean at donelan.com (Sean Donelan) [Mon 02 May 2005, 01:45 CEST]:
> >Why do you think the ISP knows anything more precise that the
> >information they already give in the IN-ADDR.ARPA name?  Let's encode
> >the ZIP Code in the router DNS name ... (well, someone had to suggest
> >using DNS as the universal database solution eventually).

> Well that's fun... whenever you see a phone number you can get its
> physical location.  Doesn't sound like such a good idea to me,
> privacy-wise.

Looking it up in the phonebook (be it digital or otherwise) is much
the same, although you won't have any control over being listed or
not. I even recall that the Dutch Phonebook on a CD-ROM had unlisted
numbers on it, so you could get the address associated with it...

The same goes for DSL IP's with some DSL telco's... They allow for
automated billing by sites through the phone bill (opt-out ofcourse)
or even provide the sought geolocation info (Klipping). The latter is
mostly used by devious marketing agencies ofcourse, and some of the
ISP's have explicitly taken care of the opt-out for all their
subscribers...

In short, technologies exist, how they're used is mostly up to us. How
to prevent abuse is definitely up to us (techies or whatever ;D)...

Rome wasn't built in a day...
(though some argue it was destroyed in one ;D)

> 	-- Niels.

Regards,
JP Velders