"Vint Cerf Says Symmetry is Beautiful"

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Mar 31 16:59:37 UTC 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:

> Cerf Says Symmetry is Beautiful

Of course, from a technical point of view I am all for symmetrical
connections as well.

>From a commercial perspective I think that it's hard to recouperate cost
from a 10 meg symmetrical connection when the customer is running p2p and
is using most of that bw 24/7 and is only paying $40 or so for that
pleasure. Yes, one can degrade that customers performance by ratelimiting
or such, or prioritizing other customers traffic or something else, but
the 90/10 rule saves some of it, the problem is when the 90% start doing
the same, then the flat rate business model is a problem and does not
scale.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se