Vonage Hits ISP Resistance

Suresh Ramasubramanian ops.lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 15:44:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:25:56 -0500 (EST), Greg Boehnlein <damin at nacs.net> wrote:

> How about we regulat the Internet like the Electric Utility and charge per
> byte transferred? :)

You know, that's already happening

Korea Telecom recently decided to scrap its flat rate high speed [1]
broadband offering and move to a traffic based charging plan - must be
because most korean broadband gets used for online gaming, which is as
high bandwidth use an app as you can get ... and they're hit by the
same situation, which does start to bite when a few users start maxing
out their pipes, and really begins to hurt when "few" suddenly becomes
"most"

srs

[1] (and I mean really high speed, compared to what gets sold as DSL
stateside, and way, way over the $75 a month, 3 gig transfer capped
512K dsl line I use in India)