Vonage Hits ISP Resistance

Jamie Norwood jamie.norwood at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 06:56:27 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:33:49 -0800, Alexei Roudnev <alex at relcom.net> wrote:

> > Heard of a little thing called 'spam'?
>
> So what? You can use your car as a weapon; should we prohibit you from car
> driving?

No, but if your car doesn't have seat belts, we don't let you drive
it. Basic SMTP lacks safety features that are needed, ergo,
retrictions were placed on it.

As was mentioned, my point was just that the question posited was
flawed. SMTP isn't restricted for competition and money-making
reasons, but because to not restrict it can have quite undesired
implications. The question was why was one ok, and the other not. The
answer is because of spam.

Jamie