Clearwire May Block VoIP Competitors

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Thu Mar 31 03:19:40 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 07:05:44PM -0500, Jared Mauch wrote:
[...]
> 	I think one of the major problems is that very few people know
> how to, or are capable of sending larger g711 frames (at increased
> delay, but more data per packet) because they can't set these more granular
> settings on their systems.. this means you have a lot higher pps
> rates which I think is the problem with the radio gear, it's just not
> designed for high pps rates..

So, how are the WISP folk dealing with VOIP traffic as it becomes a
larger piece of their customer's traffic?  Does anyone have a way
to force a given VOIP endpoint to use larger data frames?  Or are
the WISPs forced to deal with with a shredded business plan because
their gear is optimized for large packets?  (Or am I simply
missing something?)

Or do you write a TOS that says: "Customer is not allowed to send and
receive lots of small packets quickly?"  :-)