Vonage Hits ISP Resistance

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Thu Mar 31 01:37:33 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Bill Nash wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Eric A. Hall wrote:
>
> > | to bear the additional cost of my customers choosing to use a
> > | competitor's VOIP service over my own, says Greg Boehnlein, who
> > | operates Cleveland, Ohio-based ISP N2Net.
> > |
> > | Without control of the last mile, we're screwed, Boehnlein says,
> > | which is why I can identify with Clearwire's decision and say
> > | more power to them.
> >
> > Do you also block NNTP so that customers have to use your servers?
> >
> > And if some other service used higher cumulative bandwidth than VoIP (say,
> > Apple's music service) and didn't ~reimburse you for the use of your
> > network, would|do you block that service too? For that matter, do you
> > block the various P2P systems that don't make money but that generate
> > massive traffic?
> >

> I find this to be entertaining, since as a VOIP consumer, I'm reimbursing
> my ISP for the cost of the traffic as part of my monthly tithe. Why
> exactly are networks taking this stance to QoS VOIP traffic, generated by
> their customers, into uselessness?

Well, there is a whole other side to the arguement, which is why is your
local ISP even providing you the DSL service when they don't own the last
mile copper and pay 98% of the revenue that you pay them to an RBOC? :)

Believe me, I ask myself this question every day: "Why did I agree to
provide DSL services through SBC and Alltel knowing how anticompetitive
they are?". And the only anwer that I can come up with is: "You are an
idiot". ;)

This gets at a bigger issue really, which is why anyone in their right
mind is actually re-selling RBOC DSL products, but that isn't your
concern. ;)

As an ISP, I'd love to charge you (the consumer) on a per-packet or
per-byte level for your DSL so that it would actually reflect the true
cost of the service. Then, I'd like to charge you for all the technical
support and billing overhead involved.

At the same time, I'd like to see the RBOC's relegated to nothing more
than wire-carriers and get them completely out of the Telecommunications
industry. Let them run the COs and the Copper/Fiber networks, but truly
deregulate the Telecom industry so that everyone is on a level playing
field. Fat chance of that happening, though! ;)

> This will all be especially hysterical when it's done by an ISP that
> comprises 100% of it's local market's internet connectivity. Munn vs.
> Illinois, round 2!

Why are RBOC's even providing Internet Transport to their customers in the
first place? :)

                             KP-216-121-ST