Vonage Hits ISP Resistance

Eric A. Hall ehall at ehsco.com
Thu Mar 31 00:51:51 UTC 2005

On 3/30/2005 11:27 AM, Greg Boehnlein wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:
>
>>Intersting article on ISP issues regarding competitive
>>VoIP services:
>>
>>http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?site=lightreading&doc_id=71020
>
> Hmm.. I was quoted in it.

Oh good, maybe you can clarify some things:

| “As much as I want to see VOIP survive and thrive, I also don't want
| to bear the additional cost of my customers choosing to use a
| competitor's VOIP service over my own,” says Greg Boehnlein, who
| operates Cleveland, Ohio-based ISP N2Net.
|
| “Without control of the last mile, we're screwed,” Boehnlein says,
| “which is why I can identify with Clearwire's decision and say
| ‘more power to them’.”

Do you also block NNTP so that customers have to use your servers?

And if some other service used higher cumulative bandwidth than VoIP (say,
Apple's music service) and didn't ~reimburse you for the use of your
network, would|do you block that service too? For that matter, do you
block the various P2P systems that don't make money but that generate
massive traffic?

What don't you plan on blocking exactly?