Clearwire May Block VoIP Competitors

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Wed Mar 30 23:58:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Howard, W. Lee wrote:
> planning.  Denying traffic that doesn't conform to your engineering
> is one response.  Re-engineering is another.  Do what you will
> with your network, I know what I'd do with mine.

I could be 1) over simplifying, 2) misunderstanding, the problem, but all
of the networks that make up 'the Internet' are really just private
networks. there is nothing that says any of these private networks have to
transport all bits in all streams from end to end, yes?

Given that, certainly some networks might choose to NOT transport VOIP or
HTTP or BitTorennt across their networks. There are market reasons why
this will, or could, eventually force them to re-evaluate their practices
or face the consequences.

I don't find it shocking at all that ISP-Y decides to block VOIP,
especially if they have their own VOIP service offering. It might not be
the BEST plan in the long run for them, but certainly it makes some sense
to them... Just don't use their network(s), and complain to their support
organization(s) about the failures on their networks.

-Chris