T1 vs. T2 [WAS: Apology: [Tier-2 reachability and multihoming]]

John Dupuy jdupuy-list at socket.net
Tue Mar 29 19:37:11 UTC 2005

My apologies to UUNet/MCI, I'm not trying to pick on you, but you are
useful to the discussion.

But by the technical description of a "transit free zone", then 701 is not
tier one, since I have encountered scenarios where many AS are transversed
between 701 and other networks, not just a peer of a peer. Unless, by
"transit free zone" you mean "transit trading" where large providers permit
each other to transit for free. (Which gets back to my 'who hurts more'
discussion.)

I'm willing to be wrong. If any of the large providers on the list will say
that their network does not transit beyond the customer of a peer; and they
still maintain full connectivity, I will gladly be corrected.

John