T1 vs. T2 [WAS: Apology: [Tier-2 reachability and multihoming]]

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Mar 29 17:23:17 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:17:21 +0100, "Stephen J. Wilcox" said:
> however alex, you do highlight an excellent point - things are not as simple as
> 'tier1, tier2', there are complicated routing and financial arrangements in
> operation, which brings me back to my earlier point: does it matter what a
> network is paying for some connectivity providing they deliver to you the
> connectivity you need at the quality you desire?

As long as their price point for their connectivity is set such that they
can remain a viable ongoing business concern while fulfilling the requirements
of my contract, it doesn't really matter, except at contract renegotiation time.
At that point, if I know they're making money off selling others transit to
my packets, I may try to negotiate a price concession....