outage/maintenance window opinion

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Mon Mar 28 20:05:07 UTC 2005

Luke Parrish wrote:

> Trying to get clarification on an issue.
>
> Maintenance/outage window is 2:00AM to 5:00AM, during the window the
> router we are working on fails and does not come back online until 8:00AM.
>
>  From a outage reporting/documentation standpoint is the outage start
> time 2:00AM or 5:01AM since 5:01AM is when the maintenance window and
> planned outage was over...

To a small degree, it depends on how long you anticipated the outage to
be.  Were you expecting a three-hour tour^h^h^h^houtage, or something
shorter but opened a big window to give you flexibility on when to do
it?  I would say that a fifteen-minute expected impact means the outage
started at 2:15AM (or fifteen minutes after your work interrupted services).

My $0.005,

pt