ICANN on the panix.com theft

David Lesher wb8foz at nrk.com
Sat Mar 26 23:07:18 UTC 2005

> nuance.
>
> > ICANN Blames Melbourne IT for Panix Domain Hijacking
>
> ICANN's current RAA (Registrar Accreditation Agreement) lacks a profound
> amount of teeth.

I make no judgement but do note:

http://www.icann.org/correspondence/tonkin-to-cole-27jan05.htm

	The CEO of Melbourne IT received a call from the the CEO
	of panix.com on Sunday. This was referred to the legal
	team which informed the CEO of panix.com that Melbourne
	IT staff would first need to investigate the authenticity
	of the claims made. Staff performed further checks to
	authenticate the request, and reverted the DNS information
	to its orginal state as stored in Melbourne IT's systems
	around 9:30am on Monday.  Melbourne IT also received
	calls from Verisign staff on Monday morning (AEST).

In other words, they delayed a full day before acting to mitigate
the damage.

I also don't see any discussion on what ICANN was during during the
hijack situation; maybe I missed that part.

A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz at nrk.com