Apology: [Re: Tier-2 reachability and multihoming]

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Sat Mar 26 21:57:34 UTC 2005

So anyway, this internet thing..

forget this concept of tier1, 2, 3 .. they are little more than terms used by
salesmen. instead assume all ISPs have connectivity to the whole internet, and
that you're a new ISP wanting connectivity of your own. you can buy transit from
any ISP and you will get global reachability, you could also buy from any two
hence multihoming and have the same global reachability

now you're up and running, consider peering.. peering with another isp will give
you access to that isp and their customers (ie other isps buying global
reachability as you are doing)

so as per your original query, if any two nodes/asns dont have a direct
connection you can assume one or both is relying on their upstream to provide
the necessary global connectivity

now, i see your data is from oregon.. i think theres around 50 'views' of the
internet from about 25 ASNs. consider there are about 20000 active ASNs
currently. you would need to get all 20000 routing tables in order to see
exactly what relationships are active.

(the reason is that from any single ASN the internet will appear to you as a
tree much like your original email, showing the 'up-down' relationships but not
the 'left-right' ones)

also, in the context that you use 'multihoming' you're really referring to a
leaf node such as an enterprise which may buy from 2 or 3 isps to have global
connectivity with some redundancy. if you are looking at transit ISPs (ie tier1,
2 in your description) their connectivity is more complicated and you need to
continue your reading with some of the suggested papers..

Steve