Clearwire May Block VoIP Competitors

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sat Mar 26 19:55:42 UTC 2005

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005, Adi Linden wrote:

> 90kbps may be low bandwidth but the packets per second are a killer for
> some equipment. VoIP typically has small packets, 80 bytes or 160 bytes,
> whereas your webbrowser has most packets close to the max MTU, usually
> 1500 byte packets. There is quite a bit of wireless gear that buckles
> under the stress of very few VoIP streams. Those few streams add up to
> much less then the theoretical advertised throughput.

A typical voip call is a packet in each direction every 20ms, this makes a
total of 100pps.

Translated into a tcp stream with one ack per data packet, this would mean
600 kilobit/s bandwidth usage with the same pps. I would be quite upset if
I couldn't use 600 kilobit/s for approximately the same time I would use
voip per day (which truthfully wouldnt be much).

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se