MARP (was Re: Intradomain DNS Anycast revisited)

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sat Mar 26 08:37:00 UTC 2005

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005, Alexander Koch wrote:

> All that as less and less real routers[tm] have FE connection in them
> where you could work on link-state... and you need a 'dynamic' component
> to tell you the connection over some GE aqggregation gear is still
> there, and if you combine this with the monitoring of the service itself
> it should pretty much work out. Mind you, this is theory. Looks quite
> sound to me though.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to MARP?

http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-retana-marp-01.txt

This in combination with UDLD sounded good to me when I heard about it a
couple of years ago.

On the subject of UDLD, does anyone know why no mechanism was included in
10GE for UDLD? In 1GE there is autoneg which fixes this, but it's gone in
10GE. I just cannot figure out why anyone would actually remove such an
operationally important feature, and now try to implement it in software
instead of on the link layer.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se