Intradomain DNS Anycast revisited

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Fri Mar 25 06:25:36 UTC 2005

    > 1) should each dns cache server be configured a static
    > default route (0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0)? If server-(1,3) is
    > configured statically to use
    > router-1 as default router, will Quagga make it use
    > router-2 when router-1 is not reachable?

No, because both routers are reached through the same L1/L2 medium, so
Quagga can't use link-state to determine reachability of the next-hop.
You could fix that by getting rid of the switches, and just having a bunch
of router interfaces facing two Ethernet interfaces on each server, which
would remove some points of failure, and would be a good idea if you can
spare the router interfaces...   or you could use the OSPF which you're
already going to be running, to advertise a default from both routers to
each of the servers.

    > 2) If each server is configured two default router (
    > router-1 &
    > router-2), or each server learn route 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
    > by OSPF ( our border router inject default route into
    > OSPF ); there should be
    > two equal cost path to 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 on each DNS
    > server, the DNS server should disperse any outgoing
    > packets onto the two paths, will
    > that do harm to  DNS service ?

Nope, no problem, particularly so long as the two routers are iBGP peers,
so they'll both (for the most part) have the same idea of what selected
paths are.

    > 3) Is there any requirement on BIND to fit to such
    > multipath routing situation?

Nope.  BIND doesn't know what's going on that far below it.

                                -Bill