72/8 friendly reminder

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Thu Mar 24 16:04:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Daniel Senie wrote:

> At 10:06 AM 3/24/2005, Jon Lewis wrote:

> > > is arin the problem here? or are 'lazy'/'dumb'/'mistaken'/'poorly
> > > informed' admins the problem?
> >
> >Lazy/misguided/ex admins / downsized networks are the problem.  ARIN is in
> >a unique position to be able to do something to at least try to mitigate
> >the problem without too much effort before handing "damaged IP space" out
> >to members.  The current situation frustrates those who don't know what to
> >do, and encourages them to look elsewhere for the IP space they need.
>
> I think it's important to remember the "lazy/dumb/mistaken/poorly informed"
> folk alluded to above are NOT the ones receiving IP address space, but
> people elsewhere in (and all over) the world.

of course, I should have been more clear, sorry :)

> The idea of ARIN temporarily lighting address space in any new block, and
> providing a test target is reasonable, relatively inexpensive and sensible.

this requires the above lazy/dumb/mistaken/poorly-informed masses to want
to hit the targets as well, eh? :(

> Paying members of ARIN are today negativelty impacted by receiving
> assignments that remain in filters. It clearly makes little sense for those
> receiving address space to each have to expend significant time and effort
> to turn the address space into usable space. As such, the paying customers
> & members should consider requesting this be a function that could be best
> handled centrally by ARIN.

I think I'm unclear how having arin/ripe/apnic/iana/god put up
pingable/http-able/ftp-able ips from 'new' blocks is going to help, when
the problem is at the far-end, and the 'user' or 'admin' there is one of
the: "lazy/dumb/mistaken/poorly-informed" who already doesn't care enough
to keep their filters up to date. Additionally, there is still the
distinction between firewall/acl blocks and 'route filter' blocks. They
may have the same effect in the end, but the target for who might have to
repair that problem is likely different.

-Chris