72/8 friendly reminder

Henk Uijterwaal henk at ripe.net
Thu Mar 24 08:37:21 UTC 2005

At 20:05 23/03/2005, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> >> if you are really worried about this, and i can understand your
> >> being so, then make it easy for the busy folk here (not those
> >> pontificating on law and morals in the rocky mountains) to test.
> >> give us an address we can ping.
> >
> >a bit more coffee made me realize that what might best occur would
> >be for the rir, some weeks BEFORE assigning from a new block issued
> >by the iana, put up a pingable for that space and announce it on
> >the lists so we can all test BEFORE someone uses space from that
> >block.
> >

>That's a good idea.  Maybe we can take it a step further: let each AS
>owner register an IP address with IANA or their RIR, and use this test
>box to ping the AS owner.  It should be scalable -- there are only
>about 20k ASs, as I recall.  The real expense, other than the single
>box per RIR, is developing the software that lets each AS register an
>IP address and an email address to contact if the pings fail.

You mean something like:  http://www.ris.ripe.net/debogon/debogon.html?

Addresses are for each /8 that the RIPE NCC gets from IANA, they are
announced from the day we get them from IANA until the time we start
allocating from this /8.

Henk

Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.amsterdamned.org/~henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746