Tier-2 reachability and multihoming

Patrick W Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Thu Mar 24 06:53:49 UTC 2005

On Mar 24, 2005, at 12:06 AM, G Pavan Kumar wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Michael Loftis wrote:
>>
>> I think that likely you're looking at partial data (well i am sure
>> you are, since i'm part of the internet and you didn't' get routing
>> data from me...)
>
> Duh !

Not nice to make fun of people who are trying to help you.

>> and not seeing paths because of that.  The BGP tables of a single
>> node list all outward paths to other places.  Thus from a single
>> sample point it is totally impossible to 'map' the internet.
>>
>> Not to mention the *constant* change in routing.
>
> Actually, I am not doing what you think I am. I am using the
> RouteViews aggregation of the BGP routing tables. RouteViews is a
> project at the univ. of Oregon that peers with backbones and other
> ASes at interesting locations so as to make it as comprehensive as
> possible. Also, it updates the data every 2 hours of everyday. So, I
> am looking at almost full and fresh data :>

Unfortunately, the paragraph above shows me that there are errors in
your base assumptions about how the Internet works.  A couple of people
have tried to point this out to you, you should listen instead of
telling them why they are wrong.

It is bad to base conclusions on incorrect assumptions.  It is even
worse to assume those of whom you ask for help know less than you do
about the topic at hand.

I am very sorry that you spent a lot of time probably doing good work
digging through the route-views archives but have seem to come to false
conclusions.  It can be difficult to admit hard work has come to a bad
end.

However, it might not have been a waste.  You seem to have the
motivation, time, and energy to research the topic, perhaps your
research can be quickly applied to different data, or in a different
way?  Might I suggest a Google search for past research on Internet
topology?  I believe the University of Oregon has done some. :)  And
CAIDA.  And many others.  Many are still doing research and happy to
collaborate.

Good luck in your research.

--
TTFN,