Utah governor signs Net-porn bill

Baker Fred fred at cisco.com
Tue Mar 22 17:25:04 UTC 2005

On Mar 22, 2005, at 8:13 AM, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine
wrote:
> Could someone find out what the actual mandated requirements are? At
> one
> point it sounded a lot like just putting PICs lables on published URLs.

Taking the assumption that we have all decided that Utah has asked us
to do something that cannot definitively be done, it seems to me that
the folks who offer ISP services in Utah need to decide what in fact
can be done.

I am told (not my expertise) that there are labels that can be put on
web pages to prevent search engines from searching them, and that a
certain class of pornographer actually uses such. Keeping them out of
the search engines is a good thing. That said, not all such do, so one
is forced to have a plan B. BTW, HTML PICS don't especially help with
virus-bot-originated spam.

It seems to me that a simple approach would be to provide a second DNS
service in parallel with the first, and advise Utah that if it would be
so kind as to inform us of the DNS names of the spam services that they
want treated specially, those names will be put into the new DNS
service as "the address of this system is 127.0.0.1". Customers can now
decide which kind of DNS service they want. Alternatively, and better
perhaps for dealing with the email issues, one could put two VRFs on
every router - one that has full routes and one that has a number of
null routes. If the State of Utah would be so kind as to specify the
list of prefixes to be null-routed...

The key thing here is to provide a service that in fact works for some
definition of that term, and tell Utah that unfunded mandates don't
especially help. They have the power to pass any law they want, but in
context they have an obligation to the SPs affected to provide an
objective way to determine whether the SP is in compliance, and by
extension, to provide a reasonable definition of and way to implement
the service.