Would You Trust "Secure Enterprise Instant Messaging" From a Spam Source?

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Tue Mar 15 21:35:34 UTC 2005

Greetings all,

Would you trust a "Secure Enterprise Instant Messaging" product that advertises via spam? We just received the following email advertising "safe" IM software. It was sent to a spambait email address that was clearly harvested from a newsgroup or other Internet posting.

>    From: "Omnipod" <reply-1472 at elabs3.com>
> Subject: Secure Enterprise Instant Messaging
>      To: (spambait email address deleted)
>
> Consumer Instant Messaging (IM) is not safe for business users:
>
>      March 2005: The MSN Kelvir worm and its Trojan horse counterpart are just the latest viruses aimed at exploiting the vulnerabilities of consumer IM systems.
>
>      February 2005: The Bropia worm was discovered propagating across users of the MSN Messenger network and acting as a carrier for an additional, more dangerous
>      worm called Agabot.
>
>      February 2005: The Agabot worm performed a distributed denial-of service attack, similar to the notoriously destructive Slammer, Blaster and Sasser worms.
>
> New prevention solutions are needed as virus writers become more creative in their goal of wreaking havoc through soft spots in Microsoft software. Omnipod's private IM
> network prevents these security problems by prohibiting the transfer of executable text (and denying file transfers with consumer IM) while combining strict administrative
> controls with 168-bit encryption and 3DES SSL.  Simply put, Omnipod protects users from hackers as well as from the common viruses and worms that routinely infect
> consumer IM networks.
>
> Try Omnipod risk free at http://www.omnipod.com
<SNIP!>

Anyone ever heard of this outfit? Is this a legitimate product, or is it some kind of Trojan? The company that owns the domain elabs3.com (uptilt.com) claims to be a CRM organization, yet they advertise an email marketing capability.

Anyone know anything about this organization? If this is a legit product, you REALLY have to wonder why in the world they would advertise via SPAM!

Jon Kibler
--
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer