nanog

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Mar 14 16:07:16 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 08:38:30PM -0700, Michael Loftis wrote:
> --On Sunday, March 13, 2005 10:28 PM -0500 "Jay R. Ashworth"
> <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> >> But note that the OP does not have a MOV issue; he has an inspector
> >> issue. His best answer there may be buying outlet strips that
> >> offer no surge protection. He likely will need to first pin
> >> the inspector down on what rules he's allegely broken, however.
> >
> > This is the most cogent point to date, and the one I made off list: ask
> > him to quote chapter and verse.
>
> Yeah, I am waiting on the exact code violation to come down.  FWIW the
> overall consent from various fire marshalls is 'yes, it's fine' but some
> had misgivings about it.  understandable, and strictly according to atleast
> one rule book it isn't allowed.

At which point two questions arise:

1) is that 'rulebook' controlling by law, and if so, where does that
delegation of authority happen in statute, and

2) what will your *fire insurer* think about it even if it is legal?

Cheers,
-- jr 'IANAL:IJPOOTI' a

      If you can read this... thank a system adminstrator.  Or two.  --me