Vonage service suffers outage

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 18:05:52 UTC 2005

--- "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 04:03:11PM -0000, Neil J.
> McRae wrote:
> > > Companies like Vonage are signing up subscribers
> because they
> > > provide real phone service connecting you to
> copperline
> > > subscribers on the real phone network. That is
> their business
> > > model. Verizon could sell exactly the same sort
> of service to
> > > subscribers in California leveraging the
> Internet last mile
> > > in exactly the same way as Vonage.
> > > Vonage and Verizon are just phone companies, not
> VoIP companies.
> >
> > Michael - you've been drinking way to much coffee
> today.
>
> Naw; Michael has it exactly right, and more power to
> him.

I think the final nail in this coffin is the Vonage
banner ad/masthead which describes them as "the
broadband phone company."

If they're going to claim to be a phone company, it's
reasonable that phone company regulations regarding
911, outage reporting, etc should all apply to them.

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com

NEW ALBUM, "The Sound and the Furry" available at
http://www.cdbaby.com/thefranchise