Utah considers law to mandate ISP's block "harmful" sites

William Allen Simpson wsimpson at greendragon.com
Fri Mar 4 18:21:28 UTC 2005

Nanog Deform wrote:

>First of all So what. Second what does this have to do with network
>operations? This discussion went from ISP's blocking porn to gay
>marriage.

Actually, gay marriage wasn't mentioned....  Living together isn't
marriage, and most common law marriage statutes have long ago gone by
the boards.

The topic is ISP enforcement of local/regional/state/national "morality".

And I thought it a nice heads-up on the difficulty of technical
enforcement measures, with an example of a "blue" state where 40% of
the citizens ignore the law....  Despite some self-appointed moral
arbiters trying to send them to jail.

The Lynn Rivers Show (WEMU locally) had a nice segment today on
victimless crimes, with the heads of the Libertarian Party and NORML.

Under the Utah law, we'd have to block access to lp.org and norml.org.

>Nanog Deformer
>(self appointed moderator)

Somebody not observing the NANOG rules on pseudonymous posting.

Could a real moderator block this nitwit, please?

--
William Allen Simpson

William Allen Simpson