Heads up: Long AS-sets announced in the next few days

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Fri Mar 4 00:40:53 UTC 2005

On Mar 3, 2005, at 7:22 PM, James wrote:

>> 	You certainly need their permission before you can advertise routes
>> that
>> falsely came to have passed through their network!
>
> What kind of specific _technical_ issue do I create by prepending
> another ASN
> on AS_PATHs I advertise, without such "owner"'s permission?

Oh, I don't know,  increasing the size of an already bloated global
routing table;  possibly crashing routers which are already starving
for FIB RAM?  A certain level of stability is to be expected on the
global routing table.  Playing with it isn't a 'good thing'.  Besides
the fact that they are experimenting with the core of the Internet.
What if their experiments had an unwanted effect?  What is the global
financial impact of backbone instability?  That is an awful big grenade
they are chucking about.

I think it is irresponsible for someone, no matter how educated or well
intentioned to throw experiments into the middle of the network.

-Matt