Heads up: Long AS-sets announced in the next few days

Jerry Pasker info at n-connect.net
Thu Mar 3 17:22:09 UTC 2005

>On 2 Mar 2005, at 22:30, David Schwartz wrote:
>
>>	Please just clarify the following point: do you intend to
>>advertise paths
>>containing AS numbers belonging to other entities on the public Internet
>>without the permission of the owners of those AS numbers? You admit that you
>>don't know what the consequences of this injection will be.
>
>Prepending announcements with remote AS numbers has been a
>well-known technique for preventing prefixes from propagating to
>particular ASes for a long time.
>
>The AS_PATH attribute is a loop detection mechanism, and a
>determinant in path selection. What other magic is there in it that
>requires such careful consideration? Why should anybody need to get
>permission from remote operators before deciding what attributes to
>include in their own advertisements?
>
>Do I need to get permission from Sprint before I include 1239:100 as
>a community-string attribute on my own advertisement, too?
>
>>	It seems to me that there are enough issues with this type of
>>experimentation *with* the permission of the AS numbers you plan to use. But
>>the ethical issues with using them without such permission seems to me to be
>>insurmountable.
>
>The ethical issues seem to be non-existent, to my way of thinking,
>and hence trivial to surmount :-)
>

>Joe

It is my humble little opinion that if joe-public looked at AS paths,
it may be somewhat of an ethical issue, as some companies wouldn't
want to be associated with others. ( "hey, it says right here that
Sprint gets it connection from the isp down the street!")  However,
most who see the as paths have a clue, and are smart enough to know
that anyone can prepend pretty much anything thing pretty much any
way they want to, so it's really not an issue.

Those that look at AS paths, and aren't cluefull enough to know the
difference.... well.... does anyone really care what those people
think anyway?  ;-)

-Jerry