More on Vonage service disruptions...

JC Dill lists05 at equinephotoart.com
Thu Mar 3 03:04:27 UTC 2005

Patrick Muldoon wrote:

>What is more stable where you are, your broadband connection or your
>telephone line to your LEC? (if you still have one).  I know in my case
>at home, the phone line was much more reliable, then my cable modem.  I
>can count the times on 1 hand that I had been without Dial tone in the
>last 3 years (And I live in a rural area), but my cable modem connection
>goes out at least once a month.

You are starting with a faulty assumption - that you *know* when your
phone service has been interrupted.  Unless you have some sort of
special dialtone test going 24x7x365, you have no way of knowing when
your phone service was unavailable except if that unavailability
coincided with a time when you tried to place a call.  If it coincided
with a time when someone tried to dial into you, they most likely didn't
realize that their inability to reach you was due to a service
interruption and probably didn't notify you about the problem if/when
they were able to reach you at a later time.

Where I am (in the geographic center of Silicon Valley) we have had
power interruptions significant enough to reset digital clocks at least
5 times in the past 12 months.  I suspect that POTS has been similarly
interrupted even if I don't have any direct evidence of those interruptions.

jc