Why do so few mail providers support Port 587?

Stephen Fulton nanog at esoteric.ca
Tue Mar 1 20:38:08 UTC 2005

Chris Horry wrote:

> Yes, right up until a) ISPs wise up and start blocking port 587, and
> then 465 for good measure.  or b) malware authors wise up.  B will
> happen sooner.

I completely agree, which is why if alternative SMTP injection ports are
being used, some measure of authentication be used to authorize (or, in
case of abuse, block) access.  It isn't the magic bullet, and won't work
forever, but in regards to the mail systems I maintain, it will do for now.

-- Stephen Fulton.