Why do so few mail providers support Port 587?

Frank Louwers frank at openminds.be
Tue Mar 1 14:25:39 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 09:18:19AM -0500, Nils Ketelsen wrote:

> 2. Port 587 Mailservers only make sense, when other Providers block
> port 25. My point is: If my ISP blocks any outgoing port, he is no longer
> an ISP I will buy service from. Therefore I do not need a 587-Mailserver,
> as I do not use any ISP with Port 25-Blocking for connecting my sites or
> users.

Here in Belgium, the two biggest end-user (broadband) ISPs block tcp/25.
Are you going to tell your users: "sorry, you should have taken another
another access isp, take one of the very few ones left that don't
block"?

Kind Regards,
Frank Louwers

--
Openminds bvba                www.openminds.be
Tweebruggenstraat 16  -  9000 Gent  -  Belgium