mobile user strawman argument

Todd Vierling tv at duh.org
Thu Jun 30 21:43:35 UTC 2005

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Brad Knowles wrote:

> >  In practice if your remote users don't use the submit port on your servers
> >  it gives rise to all kinds of different issues involving you trying to
> >  support the outbound filtering AOL is doing on your customers sending from
> >  non AOL domains.
>
> 	That doesn't change the fact that plenty of MUAs do not properly
> handle alternative ports.

I've done a look-see around my network and acquaintances a while ago, and
among them were quite a few mailers, all of which supported not only
alternate ports, but also SMTP AUTH.  MSA support is far more available than
this classic FUD.

If a MUA still doesn't support setting the port to 587 then, at this point,
it should be declared broken, to wit:

> 	You can't just set a hard and fast rule (like "let them eat cake"),
> and automatically expect all MUAs to kow-tow overnight.

It's been nearly six years (RFC2476 was December 1998).  Is that long enough
for you yet?

(Heck, if the change-for-standards-at-a-snail's-pace Pacific Northwestern
quasi-monopoly could get off their asses to allow alternate ports, anyone
should be able to offer it by now.)