ATM

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Wed Jun 29 17:25:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Jason Frisvold wrote:

> On 6/29/05, Petri Helenius <pete at he.iki.fi> wrote:
> > Maybe the small fact that ATM is fading away and building new networks
> > with technology going away is going to explode your operational cost in
> > a few years time. Business grade IP networks will provide you with equal
> > if not better performance than a "dedicated" ATM WAN.
>
> And being replaced with ....  ?  GigE?  DPT/RPR?  MPLS?
>
> ATM is a great technology...  Unfortunately, I don't think it was ever
> fully utilized..  From what I understand, MPLS takes some of the good
> bits and combines it with traditional routing..  But I don't see a lot
> of MPLS implementations either...

look to the private networks luke... Seriously, many large private
ATM/Frame networks are transitioning to MPLS networks because the ATM or
Frame gear is/was/will-be-shortly EOL/EOS from the vendors. The costs to
run these networks don't jibe well with the alternatives.

Now, start the discussion on: "private network" and "mpls vpn" and "oops,
hey, that runs over the same routers as that bad-old Internet thing with
the haxors and such!"

:)