FCC to probe DSL regulations

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Wed Jun 29 16:38:32 UTC 2005

In message <20050629.090343.4600.276066 at webmail28.lax.untd.com>,
"Fergie (Paul
Ferguson)" writes:

>Via Red Herring:
>
>"Now that the U.S. Supreme Court has upheld the cable operators’ right
to bar c
>ompetitors from their lines, the U.S. Federal Communications
Commission is tak
>ing up the obvious question of whether the same rules should apply to
telephon
>e companies that sell DSL service."
>
>http://www.redherring.com/article.aspx?a=12580
>

>From today's Wall Street Journal:

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Kevin Martin plans to act as
quickly as possible to change the agency's rules so phone companies
won't be required to share their Internet lines with rivals.

"We'll need to move quickly to establish regulatory parity between
telephone companies and cable companies that are providing a broadband
service," Mr. Martin said in an interview yesterday, a day after the
Supreme Court upheld the FCC's decision to allow cable companies
exclusive access to their broadband Internet lines. Telephone companies
are currently required to share their digital-subscriber lines, or DSL,
for the Internet with rivals but want similar exclusivity.