Brand X decision could mean widespread VoIP blocking

Fergie (Paul Ferguson) fergdawg at netzero.net
Tue Jun 28 20:35:31 UTC 2005

I tend to agree with Mr. Willison. ;-)

- ferg

-- "W. Mark Herrick, Jr." <mark.herrick at adelphia.com> wrote:

>Jeff Pulver makes a good point in a Forbes article
>when he says "I believe it's a matter of when, not
>if" providers start blocking VoIP traffic from
>competitors across their own infrastructure, especially
>on the heels of the Brand X SCOTUS ruling.
>
>"If I'm a service provider offering my own voice
>over broadband offering, and I've got the ability
>to block my competition, why not?"
>
>http://www.forbes.com/technology/2005/06/28/voip-cable-blocked-cx_de_0628voip.html
>
>- ferg

Harold Willison, my peer and Director of HSI Transport, Design, and
Engineering at Adelphia, explains exactly why that would not be a fantastic
idea, in the following article:

http://www.ct-magazine.com/archives/ct/0605/0605_internetprotocol.htm

-MH

W. Mark Herrick, Jr.
Director - Data and Network Security - Adelphia Communications
5619 DTC Parkway, Greenwood Village, CO 80111