DHCP and aliases

Eric Frazier eric at dmcontact.com
Tue Jun 28 19:24:42 UTC 2005

Hi,

I am hoping this is an ok question for this list. I believe it is.
I have just never thought about doing something like this before and it is
likely totally child's play to many of you guys. :)

I am using a FreeBSD 4.11 IPFW firewall on a ADSL connection. I want to be
able to take advantage of "Static NAT" So as I understand it I need this
firewall machine to have another external IP that I can use to hard tie in
with a local machine. But can I do this without setting up another nic? So
is it possible to use DHCP to get an IP alias?

In the case of our DSL provider I am guessing it would not be possible
because of just having one MAC address. But I know just enough about
networking to get by, so I could be totaly wrong about that.

Is there a better way to allow this internal machine to have its own IP but
still be firewalled? But then if I am doing this, am I really firewalling
anything anyway if all of the ports are redirected to the internal machine
anyway?

More specifics on what I am talking about is on
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-natd.html

under the the heading "25.8.5 Address Redirection"

Thanks,

Eric

Lead Programmer
D.M. Contact Management