ISP phishing

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Thu Jun 23 13:54:27 UTC 2005

At 05:37 AM 6/23/2005, you wrote:
>Hi guys. I notice a large increase in recent weeks of ISP directed
>phishing - largely because of worms moving backward to using the user's
>own domain for the spam, but not just in the from: address.
>
>I believe this started out as a "let's feel this out" or "wow, that
>worked, let's phish ISP's directly too". I now have several reports that
>point to this becoming a serious problem.
>
>Old with a spark of new, but definitely a problem.
>
>Anyone else dealing with this?

Due to the huge number of variants in the wild, our AV software can't keep
up (probably nobody's can). Instead, we enabled a global rule which blocks
any email from accounts such as billing, root, postmaster, antivirus,
abuse, security, etc. which don't originate from our management IP space
where our people work. As a result, we have stopped these phishing scams
for our users dead in their tracks.

-Robert

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin