MCI routing loop near Chicago

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Tue Jun 21 14:34:30 UTC 2005

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, James Couzens wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 04:52 -0700, James Couzens wrote:
> > MCI routing loop near Chicago
>
> As Alexander Koch pointed out I could have been more detailed in my post
> with respect to methods attempted to notify the relevant parties prior
> to posting to the NANOG list.
>
> With that in mind, after roughly two hours of attempting to notify MCI
> through the available channels receiving only two responses, both from
> MCI (US Robotics can not respond, their poor DNS setup has left me with
> no means to contact them via e-mail (NS2.RACKSPACE.COM doesn't appear to
> know about USR and their primary is unreachable to me and additionally
> through several on-line DNS lookup engines I tried)) I felt that I would
> post to NANOG as a last resort.
>
> For what its worth the auto-generated ticket number I received from
> MCI's "help4u at mci.com" address was:  2005062102342.  The other response

and help4u probably isn't going to fix this as it's clearly the customer's
loop, not mci's... traffic looping from

11  Serial4-8.GW6.CHI6.ALTER.NET (63.84.148.169)  50.191 ms  49.972 ms
50.192
ms
12  mci28259-gw.customer.alter.net (63.84.148.170)  51.314 ms  51.605 ms
52.499 ms

(gw == edge/aggregation device, 'customer.alter.net' == cpe)

is a 'customer problem'. Help4u will likely have responded with a 'not our
problem, but thanks' (or something polite and along those lines). Thanks
though.

-Chris