More long AS-sets announced

Jerry Pasker info at n-connect.net
Tue Jun 21 06:15:56 UTC 2005

Hank wrote:

>Wrong again.  You used both AS1221 and AS2121:

I logged pretty much the same thing with max-as limit
blocking/logging the announcements (of course, the paths, and time
stamp seconds are  different, YMMV)   Perhaps the unforeseen
technical difficulties have something to do with not sticking to the
original plan?  Announce something different to get around filters,
and thus, detect who put filters in place?  Or more innocent.....
maybe fat fingers, or copy/paste gone horribly wrong?

Doesn't really matter what happened though, because a controlled
announce is a lot better than a malicious one. Since a stupid person
is the most dangerous type of person (fifth basic law of human
stupidity), a malicious  announcement is even safer than a clueless
one.  I'd much rather see this done by someone with clue that's going
to announce and withdraw them, then check for damage, than by someone
that might not know what the heck they're doing.  If there is damage,
we'll all hear about it, and figure out how to stop it in the future
when someone else tries to be malicious.  Or when someone else is
just plain clueless.

Apparently that's not the case since this whole experiment was so
disruptive that it took 16 hours for someone to notice and point out
on NANOG that it neither did nor did not go off as previously
announced.

(I'm guilty of looking it over in the logs, and not even noticing the
difference between 2121 and 1221)

The internet is our playground... can't we just all get along?  If
someone's going to load 50 kids on a merry-go-round, and get 50 more
kids to push it.... I'll just stand over by the monkey bars and try
to avoid the flying vomit.  :-)

-Jerry