Email peering (Was: Economics of SPAM [Was: Micorsoft's Sender IDAuthentication......?]

Alex Rubenstein alex at nac.net
Mon Jun 20 10:31:55 UTC 2005

> There's no reason why one couldn't build a comparable model for mail,
> with the SMTP speciality service provider offering "SMTP transit" to a
> base of trusted customers. This comparatively small number of SMTP
> speciality provider would then maintain good relations ("peerings") with
> the comparatively small number of major ISPs. Oh wait -- there are a
> variety of folks who are already specializing in doing that sort of
> thing -- it's just that most folks don't need to buy that sort of
> service (yet).

While this could work, we are mixing a format and content type that is not
security sensitive and is used to carry point to multipoint messages
(forums?) and media (NNTP), with a format and content type that is highly
sensitive, and is generally used to carry point-to-point communications
which may contain things like personal or financial information (SMTP).

I am not sure any level of security would make me feel good about passing
my emails through a 'peering .. core' of SMTP relays.

However, if we do go in this direction, I plan on firing up my old copies
of BinkleyTerm. FIDO and NetMail may be a good place to start :)

(Did I just date myself?)

--
Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, alex at nac.net, latency, Al Reuben
Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net