NANOG Evolution

Betty Burke bburke at merit.edu
Fri Jun 17 14:47:53 UTC 2005

Hello Everyone:>

We are very happy to report the next steps in the evolution of NANOG are
underway. We welcome your support and feed-back.

The new NANOG charter is available at:
 	http://www.nanog.org/charter.html
changes in the new charter include:

Section 5:  added a parenthetical clause so the text now reads: "Anyone who
has registered for a NANOG meeting in the previous two years (as of the
opening date of voting) may vote in any matter which comes before the
community for a vote."

Section 6:  moved two sentences to section 6.3:  "No action may be taken by
the committee unless at least four members of the committee are present.
Those items on which the Steering Committee votes will be decided by
absolute majority."

Section 6.2.1 - old version:  "Because a large Program Committee will be
better able to handle the heavy workload, the Program Committee will
consist of 16 members (plus one member appointed by Merit)."

New version: "The Program Committee will consist of 16 members appointed by
the Steering Committee plus one member appointed by Merit."
-----

The candidates for the Steering Committee are:
   Joe Abley
   Randy Bush
   Christopher Chin
   Ron da Silva
   Vince Fuller
   Steve Gibbard
   Dan Golding
   Martin Hannigan
   Dorian Kim
   Mark Kosters
   Jared Mauch
   Chris Morrow
   William B. Norton
   Philip Smith
   Josh Snowhorn
   Dave Wodelet
   Lixia Zhang
Further information found at:
 	http://www.nanog.org/candidates05.html
------

Community members eligible to vote in the 2005 NANOG Steering Committee
election are found at:
	http://www.nanog.org/voters05.html
To qualify, you must have attended at least one NANOG meeting in the past
two years, i.e., between fall 2003 (Chicago, NANOG 29) and spring 2005
(Seattle, NANOG 34).
Email addresses will be used to authenticate voters during the election.
Voters for whom Merit does not have an email address are marked with ***.
If your name is marked, or if you're not listed and believe you should be,
please send e-mail to nanog-support at nanog.org.
------

A new email list, nanog-elections at merit.edu, for discussion of the
elections has been created.  Merit will handle moderation of the new list
per the aup found at:
	http://www.nanog.org/aup.elections.html
(Everyone on nanog-futures is automatically subscribed, and we'll also
subscribe all eligible voters for whom we have email addresses.)
Information regarding the election process will be sent to this list is a
few days.
---------

Information regarding the NANOG list moderation committee is found at:
	http://nanog.org/listadmins.html
---------

Lastly, very soon, Steve Feldman (current PC Chair) will be sending
information regarding the new Program Committee members.
---------

In summary, THANK YOU to so many for their support, extra time and
assistance.  Merit and the NANOG community are very grateful.  As always,
please feel free to send email or call if you have questions regarding this
email or the NANOG evolution process.

All the best!:>

Betty Burke and Susan Harris
Merit Network