IP->Country Data (RE: ISP's Contact List)

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Jun 13 23:05:28 UTC 2005

On Jun 13, 2005, at 6:53 PM, Matt Ghali wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, william(at)elan.net wrote:
>
>>   The point is it probably would not be as accurate as one could
>>   hope because internet network infrastructure is network-centric
>>   and not necessarily region-based. Of course you could try to fully
>>   map INET like CAIDA does and keep the info updated on "daily
>>   basis", pretty hard work though...
>
> You miss the point; what they have done is decouple the requirement
> for correlation to a geographical location in optimizing content
> delivery; the only thing they seem to care about is logical
> topographical location.

Well, "they" probably look at things like throughput and packloss, as
well as logical topology / RTT.

But what do I know? :)

> As for the 'pretty hard work' part; they seem to be making money off
> it; how's your gig going?

Not sure that's a fair comparison, since I didn't think William is
doing this for money.  (William, can you confirm?)  Someone offering
"less" service, but for "less" (or no) money seems perfectly
reasonable.  In fact, it's downright nice.

But doubt it would be as accurate.  (Which is not a slight against
William.)

--
TTFN,
patrick