IP->Country Data (RE: ISP's Contact List)

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Mon Jun 13 22:47:14 UTC 2005

> Too bad no one has servers in 100s or even a 1000 or more ISPs in
> dozens of countries with TCP connections to a statistically significant
> portion of the Internet on a daily basis who could possibly measure,
> say, RTT (not sure why TTL is relevant) and other things, and perhaps
> use that along with other information to create a database that they
> could then give to customers who need geo-location data for their
> "mission critical" applications.

Unless I'm mistaken you do (or at least as close to it as anygone got)
and that is one of the basis of your service!

> That would probably be pretty darned accurate.

The point is it probably would not be as accurate as one could hope
because internet network infrastructure is network-centric and not
necessarily region-based. Of course you could try to fully map INET
like CAIDA does and keep the info updated on "daily basis", pretty
hard work though...

> Of course, that would be a "commercial service".... =)

Certainly having to support machine on every large network in every
city is rather troublesome otherwise. Of course this is probably
way overkill for IP->Country data.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks