Micorsoft's Sender ID Authentication......?

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. amitchell at isipp.com
Wed Jun 8 17:10:25 UTC 2005

> Wasn't there a lot of turmoil within the IETF last year
> on sender authentication because Microsoft was trying to
> push it's own sender ID authetication mechasnisms as a
> draft standard?

In part the problem was 'legal' (versus technical)...the folks involved
in the working list from MS...technical people, offered ongoing
reassurance that the as-yet-unpublished patent apps were benign, that
it would always be available free, etc. etc... but once the patent apps
were published, they were far over-reaching, included SPF aspects,
etc..  (I have _zero_ doubt that the legal/corporate folks upstairs at
MS were responsible for that, and that the good folks from MS on the
working list were as surprised as were the rest of us).

Anne

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.
President/CEO
Institute for Spam and Internet Public Policy
IADB Email Sender Accreditation Database: http://www.isipp.com/iadb.php
Professor of Law, Lincoln Law School of SJ
Advisor, Kinar Secure Email
Advisor, Relemail Email Privacy Certification
Advisor, Virus Bulletin
Asilomar Microcomputer Workshop Planning Committee