Battery Maint in LEC equipment

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon Jun 6 11:56:23 UTC 2005

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Jay Hennigan wrote:
> If your data center has an adequate DC plant, will the carriers insist
> on installing their own batteries and rectifiers?  And how many of them
> have redundant supplies to take advantage of an A and B feed from you?

If you are willing to sign some liability waivers, and maybe pay some
special construction charges, I've found most ILECs are willing to use
your plant.  But remember, the ILEC is stuck with servicing that building
long after you may disappear.  They learned that lesson over the last few
years when a lot of expensive, empty data centers are now being used for
other things.  The bankruptcy auctioneers carted away the redundant
power supplies and back up generators.  Needing to do a second
construction job to install the batteries and rectifiers later probably
wipes out any savings from not installing them originally.