Battery Maint in LEC equipment

Alex Rubenstein alex at nac.net
Mon Jun 6 03:17:54 UTC 2005

>> In NJ, Verizon, MFS, and Telcove all install batteries.
>>
>> We put them on our UPS and Genset anyway, however.
>
> The corollary to this question:
>
> If your data center has an adequate DC plant, will the carriers insist
> on installing their own batteries and rectifiers?  And how many of them
> have redundant supplies to take advantage of an A and B feed from you?

In a new center we are currently building, Telcove has (happily) accepted
our A- and B- feed DC power. They were almost happy, it seemed, to not
have to worry about this.

> Typically, because they're the phone company, if you offer them DC,
> they'll insist on AC.  If ou offer them AC, they'll want DC.  And it
> seems that wherever you want the MPOE/drop they'll have some reason to
> install it as far away as possible.  :-)

That only happens when you let them think. We don't. We (more or less)
say, "put your stuff here, or don't sell to us."

--
Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, alex at nac.net, latency, Al Reuben
Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net