OT:ANNOUNCE: MailDroid Spam Fighting MFG/MTA alpha release 0.01

Geoff White geoffw at cybertribe.com
Fri Jun 3 14:47:25 UTC 2005

The MailDroid iso image is ready for download at http://www.maildroid.org.
(at 130 MB, we'll try it for a few days to see if we can afford the
traffic)

MailDroid is a special "distro" of the popular OpenBSD** operating
system that is optimized to provide a secure, spam fighting, virus
killing, Mail Filtering Gateway, "right out of the box". System
Administrators need only place the MailDroid distro CD into any modern
x86 box (Pentium III class or above) and load the system as you would
any OpenBSD install except you select the additional maildroid.tgz
package. Once all the packages are installed, reboot… and the system
will come up swinging! MailDroid comes equipped and configured with:

• sendmail 8.13.8 - standard OpenBSD 3.7 release
• smtp-vilter 1.1.9- connect several milter back-ends to filter your
incoming mail
• spamassassin 3.0.2- what more do we need to say?
• cyrus-sasl 2.1.20 - SASL2 authentication daemon to use with sendmail
• clamav 0.85.1- The open source anti virus milter
• squirrelmail 1.4.4– SSL web mail front-end using an internal IMAP server
• spamd - The OpenBSD offensive spam deferral daemon
• pop3s - TLS based POP access (via stunnel 4.08 )
• OpenBSD firewall based on pf
• Chrooted sendmail, apache, clamav, smtp-vilter, named, PHP4.3.10 and more
• Secure Web-based management console

We put all the work into building, integrating and debugging these tools
so you can spend your time, not building packages, but fighting SPAM!
While the system comes up, secure and ready to filter, reject, or label
spam, we refrain from making any major policy decisions. The system is
tunable, in a large-scale sense through the web interface, however you
can edit the actual configuration files yourself without worrying that
your changes will be lost... all config files changes are placed under
version control so if you make a mistake, you can recover easily.

MailDroid is Open Source, you are free to modify it, recompile it, use
parts of it, even repackage and sell it ( see individual component
licenses). If you choose to purchase a CD, you get one year of on-line
automatic updates for the host that you decide to register. What this
means is that if there are security vulnerabilities, or cool feature
improvements available, you don't have to wait, re-compile or
re-install, you just have to download the package, install, possibly
reboot and your done. Even if you choose not to purchase a CD, you can
still have read access to the MailDroid CVS tree, that will contain up
to the minute security patches and many feature enhancements.

MailDroid is a community effort, it is a effort of System and Network
Administrators like yourselves, and we value your suggestions, patches
and feature additions, should you choose to contribute them. We are here
to make all of our lives a little nicer and to optimize the fun!

MailDroid... Now there's a New Hope.

Host requirements:
• I32 (x86) machine 300MHz (Pentium III) or better (sorry no 64 bit
support yet, dual CPU is OK!)
• 128MB of memory (512 preferred)
• 20 Gigabyte hard drive
• CDROM (to load software)
• keyboard, VGA monitor (serial support for the console in the BIOS)
• 10/100 base-T Ethernet port

We can also build custom MailDroids to your specifications and deliver
them fully burnt-in, loaded and debugged. From super-fast, 1U, dual
processor, bastion servers to small-office, paperback book size, low
power units. E-mail us for details and price quotes.

Info at maildroid.org

* MFG = Mail Filtering Gateway which also doubles as an MTA (Mail
Transporting Agent)
** OpenBSD and the “Mean Puffy logo are copyrighted 1997-2005 by Theo de
Raadt