URPF on small BGP-enabled customers?

Andre Oppermann nanog-list at nrg4u.com
Fri Jun 3 14:26:16 UTC 2005

christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com wrote:
> I guess it's been a while since I've played with it, but isn't this pretty
> well what happens with uRPF anyhow?

No, my proposal works as long as the customer advertizes their prefixes
via BGP, not matter how long the path or what community attributes are
set (for example NOEXPORT).  No matter how they send it, as long as they
send it, it works fine.  Unlike uRPF which depends on exactly this path
being the best path of all path available.  All this trouble of routing
decisions which affect uRPF is avoided.  That is also why it feeds the
received prefixes into an ACL which then is applied to the interface
versus doing two FIB lookups (one on source IP and one on destination
IP).

--
Andre