Fwd: NYSE Trading Halt Triggered by 'Network Storm'

christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com
Fri Jun 3 08:28:50 UTC 2005

Hm. It just sounds like a Tibco nack implosion to me.

Internet
jgrajewski at mandylionlabs.com@merit.edu - 02/06/2005 21:18

Sent by:    owner-nanog at merit.edu

To:    fergdawg

cc:    nanog

Subject:    Fwd: NYSE Trading Halt Triggered by 'Network Storm'

I dont want join the ranks of conspiracy theorists, but i must point
out the coincidence that this minor digital "spanking" occurred exactly
at the same time the NYSE members (folks whom own seats on the
exchange) filed suit to block NYSE's proposed merger with electronic
trading firm Archipelago Holdings Inc., saying the deal is unfair to
exchange members.

The members feel the old "manual" way of doing trades (where they get a
cut of every transaction) is best and that they dont need the
electronic trading. ---   In fact one of their contentions is that the
online system is not foolproof and prone to being compromised or
disrupted by terrorists etc. ...and get this -- that they are the only
ones -- in face to face trading -- that can give a "fair" transaction
---

here is the article on the members trying to block the merger:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/09/
AR2005050901325.html

Begin forwarded message:

> Trading resumed normally at 9:30 a.m. Thursday.
>
> In a statement, the NYSE blamed the system failure, which suspended
> trading at 3:56 p.m., on a communication problem. In an interview
> Thursday with cable-news channel CNBC, NYSE CEO John Thain said the
> problem was caused by a "network storm" in which "an error message was
> created and then duplicated millions of times," overwhelming both the
> system's primary and backup network routers.
>
> [snip]
>

> http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?
 > articleID=163703141

BNP Paribas Private Bank London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in the
United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Securities Services London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in the
United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Fund Services UK Limited is authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority.