VerizonWireless.com Mail Blacklists

John Bittenbender kisanth88 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 02:21:04 UTC 2005

On 6/1/05, Rich Kulawiec <rsk at gsp.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 04:46:01PM -0000, John Levine wrote:
> > VZW recently confirmed that their mail system is separate from VZ's,
> > and whatever mistakes they may make, they're not VZ's.
>
> Okay, fine -- and a look at DNS seems to back this up (unless I'm
> missing something).  And I've no desire to lay VZ's mistakes at VZW's
> feet, or vice versa -- but that still leaves whoever-is-affected (like
> the orginal poster or anyone else out there) to deal with the issues.
> And the lack of participation by VZ and VZW in the leading applicable
> forum (i.e. Spam-L) isn't helping.  At least some of the other folks
> are engaged in dialogue with their peers, even if what they're saying
> isn't to everyone's liking.

Quick point to address here about VZW's email.

   We don't provide email services to our customers. We are merely a
wireless ISP generally used as their secondary connection to use while
the customer is mobile. Another large portion of our client base are
enterprises and public services/utilities that use their own systems.

   The reason for our non-participation in Spam-L..... We aren't an
email provider. At most we relay for our own address space and accept
deliveries to and from vtext.com which isn't email/webmail it's only
web accessible SMS messaging so it's not really applicable either.
There are spam guards on vtext but if a customer can't receive his/her
SMS's that were sent to their phone they can call customer service and
get that resolved.

   The issue at the root of this thread was with our corporate mail
servers, not customer email. So it's a different ball of wax and not
really a topic for discussion on NANOG other than as a last cry for
help (which worked in this case).

   And yes, please don't lay VZ's problems at our feet. As was
mentioned a ways up this thread, we are just partially owned by the
same mother ship.

John Bittenbender
Verizon Wireless Netops